I’ve just completed reading through the installation and configuration manual for AX2012 and came across chapter 5 on workflow. This chapter is a must read for anyone starting out in workflow on Microsoft Dynamics AX2012. It covers/explains all the topics that one needs to know about workflow (apart from the development side) including:
- Descriptions of all the available workflow types (previously templates) from the following modules
- Accounts Payable (Invoiceing, payments, remittance etc..)
- Accounts Recievable (Journals, Free text invoices, customer payments etc…)
- General Ledger and Fixed Asset workflows
- Travel and Expense (Cash advance, expense report, travel, dispute management etc…)
- Procurement and Sourcing (Catalogs, Purchase requisitions, Purchase Orders, Vendor modifications etc…)
- Project Management and Accounting
- User management
- Organisation workflows.
- Configuring the workflow environment
- Email templates (both generic and configuration specific templates)
- Batch Job setups
- Notification setups
- Workflow queue setups
- Explanation of the workflow infrastructure and how all the components interact with each other.
- Creating configurations
- Line level workflows
- Conditional and manual decisions
- The graphical workflow configuration utility
- Workitem assignments (queues, hierarchies, workflow users, workflow roles)
- Approval policies
All in all this manual is well worth the read for first time users.